ISSN (Online): 2035-648X
Fast search with keyword
It provides easy access to our database
  
 

 
   
 
Study about the effects of dental noises on the emotional experiences of children aged 6 to 10 years. A pilot study
 

Type:  Articles

Pubblication date:  12/2011

Authors:  V. Birardi, F. Pasini*

Language:  English

Institution:  Department of Clinical Dentistry, IRCSS San Raffaele Hospital, Milan, Italy. Private practice in Genoa, Italy *Music Therapist, La Culla Musicale, Genoa, Italy

Publication:  European Journal of Paediatic Dentistry

Publisher:  Ariesdue Srl

Keywords:  Dental noises; Child emotions.

Full text:
[To open this file you have to be a registered user]

Email:  vbirar@tin.it


Title:  Study about the effects of dental noises on the emotional experiences of children aged 6 to 10 years. A pilot study

Abstract:  Aim The aim of our study is to verify if some of the noises produced in a dental surgery, especially those of high-speed drill and Erbium laser, might cause anxiety to children. Materials and methods In order to confirm our hypothesis, we recorded these noises and then reproduced them to a group of children in a neutral setting, in this case at school. The children were aged 6 to 10 years, 55.9% were Italian, while the remaining 44.1% were of other nationalities. Some of them already had a previous experience at the dentist's. Results The range of images recalled by the children is very small, and they all refer to a realistic, imaginary and sometimes daily context (domestic, family and game related). Such representations have rarely been associated to negative sensations. Conclusion The noise environment of the dentist's surgery, for what concerns the two stimuli we analysed (high-speed srill and Erbium laser), does not cause an anxious reaction to the majority of children; as a matter of fact the percentage of positive sensations and emotions turns out to be predominant. The results obtained suggest it would be useful to protect this natural tendency, finding out the best method to prevent adult models, such as parents or clinical staff, from affecting it in a negative way.

 
 
 
 
 
Home   |   Editorial Board   |   Referees   |   Current issue   |   Article submission   |   Links   |   Contact us

Editor in chief: dott. Luigi Paglia ejpd.editor@gmail.com
European Journal of Paediatric Dentistry | ISSN (Online): 2035-648X |
Privacy Policy | Term of use